Quote of the Month...

“When I saw you, I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew” - Shakespeare

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Questioning Our Date Choice

The first thing people ask when they find out we're getting married? "Oh, when's the date?" I swear, sometimes I debate just having it tattooed on my forehead or something:'I'm getting married 8.20.11...now stop asking!' but that's only when I'm tired and irritated. After that, then the inevitable question "Oh, aren't you a little young? Are you waiting until you finish school?" I've never truly understood why people feel the need to ask those questions but for whatever reason they do, and I feel the need to explain our reasons for setting the date that we did.

First I'll address the issue of "Aren't you a little young?" while I realize that the age at which people are getting married is getting older and older, I also know that I'm not your typical 22yr old nor is FI Fishie your typical 21yr old (yes, I'm older then FI Fishie...and I make sure he knows it!) we're both very mature for our age and discussed whether we were old enough to make this committment or not. Age is just a number in my opinion, I've never "acted my age" and I've met plenty of older people who don't act their age either. Is 22 young? Well, generally yes but there are plenty of 30yr olds who still act like 15yr olds and plenty of 15yr olds who act like their 30 (I know, I was one of them) Ok, I'm stepping off my soapbox now...

Now, as for this stuff about waiting until we're done with school. Would that be the smart, responsible, thing to do? Maybe. But, FI Fishie laid down the law in the beginning that if he was ready to propose then he was ready to be married and didn't see the sense in spending more time in our relationship being engaged then we did actually "dating" so it was settled that it wasn't a good idea for us to wait. Plus, I'm going to school to be a nurse which involved waiting lists...long, long, long, long, long waiting lists so there's not any guarantee when I'll be done with school and I didn't want to be planning a wedding at the same time I was either, starting my first nursing job, studying for class or clinicals, or god-forbid at the same time I was supposed to be studying for my board exams.


I'm hoping I'm not alone here with people questioning why we're getting married when we are. Did other people question why you chose the date you did?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails