Quote of the Month...

“When I saw you, I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew” - Shakespeare

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How the Fishies Got Engaged

The story of our engagement is not an overly romantic story, and no one from Hollywood will be calling for the movie rights anytime soon but it just goes to prove that we're more Abbott and Costello then Harry and Sally.

I knew the proposal was coming for a while before he actually proposed. In fact, I was known to “accidentally” leave hints (ie: pictures of rings I liked) in his backpack, his calculator, his notebooks for class, anywhere and everywhere that I could. Fortunately, we Fishies have two kitties (named for a yummy candy bar: Kit and Kat get it? He he he...see I told you we're goofy like that) so they made for an easy scapegoat.


FI Fishie: Honey, did you leave something in my backpack for me to find?


Me: No, Kat did it. He said he's tired of his parents not being married, all the other kitties make fun of him.




See? Easy peasy lemon squeezy scapegoat. And with a face like this who could be mad?

So, when FI Fishie bought an engagement ring in true Fishie fashion he told me he bought it and hid it in the apartment. His motivation was totally unscrupulous and he just wanted to watch me squirm like well... a worm on a hook (see the fishie reference?). Every day for about a week he'd ask me “did you find it yet?” and then try to get me to play warmer, colder with him to try and find it. But I resisted the temptation and refused to play into his little game and told him that when he was ready to propose to just do it already. Ok, Ok, I admit it I did search for the ring. I managed to find the ring box but alas, no ring. There was, however a lovely note from FI Fishie telling me “it's not here, keep looking” and that turned into a fun little game of hide and seek when I finally did find the ring, removed it from its hiding spot to a new hiding spot and left my own little note behind. This game went on for a few days, and was a lot of fun. At least for me it was, I don't know if FI Fishie thought it was so fun but this is my blog and I'm gonna tell my side.


One night, I was cooking dinner and I remember it was yummy roasted chicken, with mashed potatoes, and mixed veggies...nom nom nom. Well I finished cooking and was laying down in bed to watch “Fargo” when FI Fishie came in the room, he threw the box at me and this is how the conversation went.


Me: What's this?


Him: You have to say “yes” first


Me: There wasn't a question


Him: Say yes first


Me: This isn't how you're supposed to do it! It's supposed to be romantic not, me in my pj's watching Fargo on tv! You're supposed to get down on one knee and ask me. Not just throw the box at me and expect me to say yes!


Him: Fine, (gets down on one knee beside the bed) will you marry me?


Me: Yeah, I guess so. But that's still not how you're supposed to do it, I want a do-over!


Him: Too bad, you already said yes.


Mind you, there was lots of giggling on my part during this conversation it wasn't a fight it was more of an Abbott and Costello “who's on first” type of routine. And that, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, is the story of how the Fishies came to be engaged. Now that the history lesson is over we can move onto the fun stuff. Like, setting the date.


....oh wait...you wanna see the ring? Hmm...Ok I guess I can show you...




(All Personal Photos)
I apologize for the poor quality of these photos, I've been too busy lately to retake any more shots but I promise in the not too distant future my lovely ring will get another chance at a photo shoot. And as for the pink monkey? Stay tuned he'll be making many apperances throughout my wedding planning adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails