Quote of the Month...

“When I saw you, I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew” - Shakespeare

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Technology...Fail (UPDATE!!!)

So if you remember a few days ago I lemented my misfortune over the untimely death of my external hard drive. Well, ladies and gentlemen I stand before you today a much happier fishie.



First, I found out that Western Digital will be replacing my faulty drive and sending me a new one...yay! But that's no comfort for the complete and utter catastrophie of losing all of my precious data which, as I've been told by numerous more technologically savi people, is gone and there is no viable way to recover it...this makes me a sad fishie.

However, before I upgraded my PC to the new Windows 7 OS I made a disc copy of all my files...and then promptly forgot about this disc. But today while I was busy looking for my music discs I came across a few discs with no writing on them and started sticking them in my PC to see what they were.

Well imagine my surprise when I inserted a seemingly blank disc in the drive and BAM! There was my data. Since I was having a dumb blonde moment when I did the back-up and didn't write what on the disc itself in big bold letters "WINDOWS VISTA DATA BACK-UP" it just looked like a blank disc to me so I had completely forgotten about the back-up and spent the last week mourning the loss of my data.
Data that wasn't just my wedding planning but those precious pictures that could NEVER be replaced. Pictures of my mom a month before she died, pictures of my baby brother when he became an Eagle Scout, pictures of FI Fishie and I actually touching sea critters. Although I'd always have the memories of those times and that's something that even technology failure can't take away from me, it'll be nice to one day show my kids a picture of their dad touching a crab.

Did you ever life turn around and make lemonade out of your lemons? What could have been a catastrophic loss has been lessened by the discovery of a seemingly ordinary object, have you ever had a pleasant surprise?

1 comment:

  1. Oh that's awesome! So you DID backup after all! Smart fishie!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails