Quote of the Month...

“When I saw you, I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew” - Shakespeare

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Wedding Dress Designers Should Be Shot...

Now, I'm not one to be prone to bouts of self-doubt and self-loathing. I have a pretty healthy sense of self-esteem, I'm not overly inflated with myself but at the same time I'm able to look in the mirror and say "hey, I'm one hot sexy girl". However, all that self-esteem flew right out the window when I started trying on dresses. I turned into a crying ball of self-doubting goo.







I've heard of "vanity sizing", where the designers artifically inflate our poor ego's by slapping a size 2 label on a pair of size 6 pants. I've never heard of "un-vanity sizing" where the designers artifically deflate our poor ego's by slapping a size 6 label on a size 2 dress.
Frankly, that's what wedding dress designers do...they take poor unsuspecting me who's gone around for 4 years wearing size 1 jeans, xs tops, etc. (I know, you may now commence hating me for being skinny I'm used to it) and what do those evil wedding dress designers do? They tell me my dress size is an 8! An 8! For pete's sakes I haven't been an 8 since I was in junior high, thank you very much!! I'll admit it-I turned into an emotional pile of goo and couldn't focus on anything other then the number on that label. I started doubting myself, I started to feel like I needed to start dieting and exercising and loosing those extra inches and pounds. Until, Shannon aka: "the best bridal consultant EVER" said to me "You're a twig, don't pay attention to the number on that label-you know you're gorgeous and don't need a number to confirm it," she confessed that designers don't know what they're doing when they put the label on and there's no real standard for the sizing.
Have you ever turned into a self-doubting pile of goo? Am I really crazy for being so focused on that little number on the label or should I just go for whatever looks good on me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails